Shahi paneer is a preparation of paneer in a thick gravy made up of cream, tomatoes and spices from the Indian subcontinent. Shahi paneer has a sweeter taste when compared to Paneer Butter Masala.
It is mainly eaten with roti, naan, rice, other breads. Paneer is the word for cottage cheese, and shahi is the term for royal (in reference to the Imperial Court).
Preperation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
-1 ½ cup panner cubes 250 grams
-½ cup thick yogurt
-¾ to 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
-¼ tsp. red chili powder
-⅛ tsp turmeric
-¾ tsp. gram masala
-Pinch of saffron
-Salt to taste
-2 tbsp. Ghee or oil
-Kewra water few drops.
-¾ cup water
-1 chopped tomato
-2 to 3 cloves
-1 to 2 one inch cinnamon stick
FOR SHAHI PASTE
-12 whole cashewnuts
-1 cup cubed onions
-2 green cardamoms
-1 green chili slit
1. Fry paneer lightly in 1 tbsp. ghee and set aside to a plate.
2. For making the shahi paste, saute onions and nuts in ghee. Sauteing brings out the aroma of the nuts and mild sweetness from onions. Heat a kadai with 1 tbsps. Ghee. Add green cardamom, cashews, almonds, and fry till they turn slightly golden.
3. Add onions, green chili and fry till translucent.
4. Add them to a jar with very little water. Make a smooth paste.
5. Heat the kadai with ghee or oil, fry cinnamon, cloves, Bay leaf, and sahi jeera for a min. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
6. Add the ground onion paste, red chili powder, turmeric, salt and garam masala. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Add curd.
7. Cook until it leaves the sides of the pan.
8. Add ½ to ¾ cup water,add saffron strands. stir and begin to cook till curry thickens. By then you see the oil begins to separate
9. Add cubed paneer then switch off the stove immediately after adding paneer to gravy. Add deseeded slit green chili now for that distinct flavor. Sprinkle kewra water. Give a good stir.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves or cream.