Aloo mutter / aloo mattar / aloo matar is a Punjabi dish from the Indian subcontinent which is made from potatoes (Aloo) and peas (matter) in a spiced creamy tomato based sauce. It is a vegetarian dish. The sauce is generally cooked with garlic, ginger, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin seeds and other spices.
Preperation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
-3 medium size potatoes cubed
-½ to ¾ cup matar( peas )
-2 tomatoes medium size pureed
-2 large onions chopped finely
-2 tbsps oil
-1 green chili slit
-½ to ¾ cumin/ jeera
-1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
-1 tsp coriander powder
-¾ tsp red chilli powder
-½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
-salt as needed
-¼ tsp turmeric
-¼ tsp kasuri methi
-Chopped coriander leaves for
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them to cubes. Properly wash the cubed potatoes and peas in a vessel and keep them aside. Puree the tomatoes and chop onions finely.
2. In a pot heat oil and add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
3. Add green chillies, ginger garlic paste, chopped onions and saute them untill they are golden in color.
4. Add tomato puree and cook for another 3 to 4 mins.
5. Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder and garam masala.
6. Mix everything well and cook untill oil begins to separate from the masala.
7. Drain the water from potatoes and peas and add them to the pan.
8. Saute for 3 to 4 mins.
9. Pour water just enough to cover the potatoes and mix everything well.
10. Cover the pan and continue to cook on a low to medium heat until the aloo is soft cooked but not mushy.
11. When the potatoes become soft, add crushed kasuri methi and mix well. Cook for another 2 to 3 mins.
12. Now switch off the heat and sprinkle few coriander leaves and mix well.